Sunday, September 21, 2008

Recipes I Like: Roasted Ratatouille

I've begun to cook; not very often, but sometimes. Generally, I'll do it a lot for a couple of weeks and then not at all for a couple of months. And generally, it is a winter/fall/early spring phenomenon that I kind of abandon once summer rolls around. That could be in part explained by my fear of the grill and of grilling in general. Anyway, in the interest of giving credit where it is due, I found a recipe for roasted ratatouille at Shakesville. But due to the nature of my family and the amount of us and the fact that I'm not a fan of 1 inch cubes of food items, I modified the recipe a bit; so, original recipe at the above link, and my own version down below, which feeds about 5 (and remember, left overs are a good thing!):

2 small to medium eggplants
2 small zucchini
4-5 small potatoes
1 red or green pepper
1 onion
4 plum tomatoes
3-4 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
dried oregano
dried basil
rosemary
thyme
garlic powder
olive oil
parmesan cheese
balsamic vinegar (optional)

1. Coat the bottom of a large baking pan (or two) with olive oil.

2. Cut eggplant, zucchini, pepper, onion, potatoes, and tomatoes into edible-sized bites.

3. Roughly chop the garlic.

4. Put vegetables in a big bowl (or two) and coat with olive oil; use your hands to spread the olive oil evenly.

5. Place mixed vegetables in baking pan. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, and dried thyme to taste. Put a smidgen of rosemary on as well. Coat liberally with parmesan cheese.

6. Bake everything for 45 minutes or ยบ350. Turn every 15 minutes.

7. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar (optional).

8. Serve.

Delicious, vegetarian, and easy. Also, kind of fun. Serve with a French baguette.

2 comments:

MediaMaven said...

I love ratatouille! I made it three times last summer, though the recipe I followed is different. I don't think it included potatoes, and there was definitely no cheese. It took me forever to make it though, because cutting, peeling and cooking each vegetable separately is time-consuming.

petpluto said...

Yeah, those were two things I added! We needed the potatoes because otherwise there wouldn't have been enough food, and we had potatoes in the house so voila!

And I just love cheese...