Sunday, January 18, 2009

Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist, Part Deux

I actually have been working on my New Year's Resolutions. I now know how to say "I am a gas station attendant" thanks to crispybenfranklin (putting me that much closer to actually being fluent in another language!), I am working out a list of who to donate to and when (January being for National Broadcasting, in which I gave money to NPR, CPTV, and Chicago Public Radio), I subscribed to The Nation Magazine, and I wrote a blogpost for the shared blog! It isn't the post John actually wanted from me for Wit War, but it is a post nonetheless. An excerpt:

I've seen the movie; I've read my friends' reviews of the book. And now I've read the book (a book I conveniently stole from another friend, who needs the book back due to it being a library book). And I have to say, I'm pretty glad I saw the movie before I read the book; otherwise, I would not have been interested in seeing the movie in the least. Which puts me in the minority among my co-bloggers, who liked the book more than the film. I started reading it while at the friend's house I then liberated it from, and I was immediately drawn in to its teen-pretentiousness, and its less than stellar writing. And this may partially be because I have really never been into YA novels; I was reading The Odyssey when I was in fifth grade, so I kind of missed this important book category. But my initial review of the book is this (and it helps if you've seen Sports Night to appreciate the inflection of the words): "Took two people to write that [book]?" Now, Isaac was speaking of the song Happy Birthday, but I think the incredulity of his response still stands.

The rest of it is here, if you are so inclined.

No comments: