Monday, January 26, 2009

Bad Grammar And Mistaken Conclusions

"The cast he sports on his left wrist is a result of his refusal to take a Breathalyzer test after his car crash/DUI bust."
Don't judge me! I was bored and poking around tabloid sites. That may be because the only reading material at work are tabloids, and I perpetually forget my Newsweek, and I know that is just an excuse and that I suck. With all that in mind, though, the above sentence cannot be allowed to stand unchallenged and uncorrected. It is from a little column about Shia LaBeouf (again, no judging), and it lends to the mistaken conclusion that the cast on his wrist is the result of refusing to take a Breathalyzer test. Instead, the cast is a result of the same accident in which LaBeouf refused to take a Breathalyzer test,  and he had his license suspended as a result of that refusal. The original sentence sounds more like Shia LaBeouf got roughed up by some officers after failing to comply, which is just wrong. And yes, I am pathetic.

No comments: