Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy Birthday, Elvis!

It's Elvis' birthday today; Elvis was the first love of my life, knocking me off of my feet when I was just learning how to walk. And I've remained enthralled ever since. Sure, when I was five I developed a deep and passionate love for Stevie Ray Vaughan, but I remained true to Elvis.
So, in honor of Elvis' 73rd birthday, I'm going to put up a couple of my favorite Elvis songs:



Love Me Tender is probably my all time favorite Elvis songs, and one of my favorite songs of all time. It makes me go all to pieces whenever I hear it. It also has a tendency to calm me right down, so I have a tendency to listen to it on the way to work.

As an atheist, I probably love Gospel music more than I should. But Amazing Grace is an awesome song; I seriously doubt anyone could really mess it up, because no matter what quality the singer's voice is, it fits in with the whole "wretch" sentiment of the song. But when someone with an incredible voice sings it, it is really magical.

My second favorite Elvis song is Suspicious Minds; I love how his voice cracks a bit on the recording, and I'm a sucker for a cracking voice (that would also be one of the reasons why I adore a Sex Pistols song - Johnny Rotten's voice cracks and it is awesome). But it also just a really cool, really catchy song - especially for the sentiment. I normally don't expect to groove to a song about bad relationships, but hey. Elvis makes it work.

The song that is responsible for reintroducing Elvis to a new generation. Plus, I really really love it. So fun to bounce to!

No comments: