Monday, August 11, 2008

More Notes on the Olympics


Actually, just one: We kicked France's ass! Thank you, France, for being obnoxious enough to make me want to really root for Michael Phelps. I have an odd loathing of the kid that I feel kind of badly about on some days and not so badly about on others. But when Alain Bernard of the French relay team says shit like, "The Americans? We're going to smash them. That is what we came here for", it stirs up a national pride like no other. And so I am supremely happy (as well as more than a little surprised) that Jason Lezak was actually able to chase Bernard down in that final leg of the relay and make him eat those words. I usually feel sorry for the losing team -unless they're the Lady Vols from Tennessee, of course- but nothing gave me greater pleasure than seeing them all dumbstruck by the American victory.

No comments: