Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Day The Music Died

50 years ago today, the plane carrying Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Richie Valens crashed near Clear Lake, Iowa. It has come to be known as The Day The Music Died. Although he only recorded for a year and a half, Buddy Holly recorded so many songs that his record company was able to release new songs up to 10 years after his death - something I find amazing for the short span of time he was actually in the public eye. So here's some Buddy Holly for your February 3rd morning:

3 comments:

John said...

IIRC, I'm fairly sure that the name of their plane was Miss American Pie (which explains the Don McLean song's title.)

Daisy Deadhead said...

Did you know Waylon Jennings (the country and western singer, one of the original Crickets) ceded his seat on that plane to the Big Bopper?

Apparently he was forever haunted by it. :(

petpluto said...

"Did you know Waylon Jennings (the country and western singer, one of the original Crickets) ceded his seat on that plane to the Big Bopper?"

Actually, yes. Confession time: I love Waylon Jennings! He was in the Sesame Street movie Follow That Bird, and he was one of my grandfather's favorite artists - along with Willie Nelson. And one of my great uncles looks exactly like him (my grandfather looked more like Willie, which was neat because they were brothers).

Anyway, I have some records, and I've got Follow That Bird on dvd.