Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Racism in East Texas

If you have any time in the next couple of days, I highly recommend reading elle's piece entitled Officer Jack Sparrow. If you don't have any time, I strongly suggest making some.

I don't know what else to add to it, other than the obvious; it is deplorable, it is despicable, and it should be one of the first pieces of writing pointed to when someone talks about our 'post-racial' society, or who claims that racism isn't that big a problem any more. I can't begin to imagine being treated like elle, her family members, and all of the others stopped by police in East Texas and probably elsewhere. I can't imagine fearing for one's health, one's life, and being treated like a criminal without cause. I can't imagine allowing an officer to search my car because the alternative could be devastating. And it turns my stomach that privilege of not fearing cops, of being confident in my ability to not sign a piece of paper forfeiting my property, is a privilege and not a given for all citizens.

No comments: